5 Parental Control Settings in Windows 11 You Can Use on Your Child’s PC
If you are a parent and wish to ensure the digital safety of your child while using Windows 11, then parental control settings are a perfect match for it. Using this feature, you can easily monitor and control your child’s activities on their account. In this article, we will introduce you to the best parental control settings to bring out the best of this feature.
Use of Parental Control in Windows 11
The Parental Control feature in Windows 11 allows you to monitor and control your child’s activities including settings such as screen time, app access, gaming hours, and even imposing restrictions while making purchases. Thus, using your Microsoft account, you can easily safeguard and protect your child in this digital world. Additionally, you can also check our detailed guide to set up parental controls on your Android TV.
Creating a Parental Account in Windows 11
Follow these steps to create a Microsoft account for your child using Windows 11.
- Press the Windows key and search for the Settings app to open it.
- In the left sidebar, expand Accounts and click on Family & other users.
- To create a Microsoft account for your child, click on the Add Account button in front of the Add a Family Member.
- On the Sign-in Page, click on the Create one for Child option.
- Follow the on-screen steps to create an account for your child.
- Congrats. You’ve successfully created a Parental Account in Windows 11.
Best Parental Control Settings on Windows 11 in 2022
Now with the parental account in place, it is time to know about the 5 best parental settings to get the best out of Family Safety in Windows 11. To open and configure the parental settings, click on the Manage Family Settings Online or Remove an Account link. You will be redirected to the online Microsoft webpage for Family Safety. Click on the Child account name to configure parental settings.
Limit Usage Hours and Screen Time
- Click on the Screen Time option in the left sidebar.
- Turn on Use One Schedule on all devices.
- Set your defined usage hours for each day of the week by clicking on each day and setting your preferred Time Range.
Use Activity Reporting to View Device and App activities
Activity Reporting is another unique feature in family safety through which you can easily get notified about your child’s activities and app usages. To turn on this feature, you/your child has to sign in with his/her Microsoft account and enable it manually. Follow these steps to do the same.
- Scroll down in the Overview section and turn on the Share my Activity option to enable Activity tracking for parents.
- Now, sign in with your parent Microsoft account and scroll down to find the Activity Reporting toggle to turn it on.
- That’s it. You’ve successfully enabled Activity Tracking on your child’s account.
Set up Xbox Gaming Filters
With the help of Microsoft Family Safety, you can also control and set filters for Xbox gaming.
- Click on the Overview option in the left sidebar and scroll down to locate the Xbox Online Gaming section. Click on the Review Xbox Settings link.
- Sign in again with the Microsoft account and choose your preferred settings for online gaming by adjusting the appropriate toggles.
Filter and Block Inappropriate Content
One of the most important features offered by Microsft Family Safety is to protect your child from viewing inappropriate content on the internet. Follow these steps to turn on the filter for inappropriate websites and searches.
- On the Family Safety homepage, click on the Content Filters option in the left sidebar.
- Scroll down to find the Filter Settings section and turn on the toggle for Filter inappropriate websites and searches.
- If you wish to exclude some browsers or gaming suggestions from this filter, then you need to click on the app and game filters link to manually add it to the exclusion list.
- Do note that web and search filters only apply to the Microsft Edge browser.
- You can also learn to set parental controls on YouTube.
Require Kids to Request Approval before Purchasing
You can also set restrictions for your child to allow him to get approval before each payment request. This way you can stay in the loop and get notified of each purchase that your child initiates.
- In the left sidebar, click on the Spending option.
- Scroll down to locate Spending settings and click on the Edit button in front of the Age filters option.
- You can also turn on notifications for each transaction done using the child’s Microsoft account.
- Set your desired age limit to asking for purchase approvals.
Bonus: Best Free Software Alternatives for Parental Control
Kidlogger is one of the most used free parental control tools used for activity tracking. Once this tool is properly installed and set up, it can help you to track and know about the keystrokes, browsing activities, and even your child’s used programs instantly. This tool also offers a sound recorder which is only available in paid versions through which you can record and determine your child’s conversations on the internet. It is also available for free but only covers one device in the free plan. You can try this software at Kidlogger.
OpenDNS Family Shield
OpenDNS Family Shield is an effective parental control software available for different platforms that have the power to protect your child from irrelevant digital content. The best part about this software is that you can apply it to a variety of devices including your system, mobile, and even the network router. Once applied at the router level, you will be able to filter every single network traffic as per your preference. It is available in both free and paid versions and you can try and install them from the official OpenDNS website.
Wrapping Up: Safe Windows Environment for Children
That’s a wrap for the 5 best parental control settings that you can use in Windows 11 to safeguard and monitor your child’s activity in this digital world. If this article has helped you in ensuring the same, then hit the like button and share this with your friends to help them be safe in the digital space. Stay tuned for more such informative reads.
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group, or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.